Friday, May 21, 2010

How to Lose Weight, Lower Your Risk of Diabetes, Heart Disease, and Cancer!


Hi Fit Friends,

Are you wondering how you can achieve all of those things? Eat at home. The more we eat at home, the more we can control our calories and we can make healthier choices.

When we eat out we consume 50% more calories, fat and sodium! 50% more! Also, restaurant customers often miss out on fruits, vegetables, whole grains, beans and other vitamin-rich foods that may reduce the risk of cancer, diabetes, heart disease, and obesity.

So, I'm busy, you're busy, we think we don't have time to eat at home. How can we find the time? We have to make it a priority. We have to make the decision that our families, our children are worth the effort that it takes to prepare dinner. If I told you, you could lower your child's or your spouse's risk of cancer by 50% you would do whatever it took - wouldn't you? If I told you, you could lose 10 lbs in 10weeks by eating dinner at home you would do it - wouldn't you?

Of course I don't always eat at home (I'm going to Lambert's this weekend), but I eat at home 90% of the time. It takes some planning, so here are some tips:

- Have a list of 15 - 20 meals that are your standard "go to" meals.

- Keep the ingredients for those meals on hand.

- Buy frozen, or pre-cut vegetables. Toss vegetables into salads, pasta sauces, stews, lasagnas, pizzas, quiches, sandwiches or omelets. If I know I'm going to have a busy week I get a huge salad at the Hy-Vee salad bar, (leave off the things that will get slimy, like bell peppers, cucumbers, etc) and I can make 4 side salads from it. I know it's not organic and sure it costs more and so do the pre-cut veggies and fruit, but you will definitely be saving a lot more by eating at home.

- Reclaim prime time. If your family wants to eat takeout in front of the tv, then compromise and take the tv into the kitchen. Ask the entire family to help prepare dinner while watching their favorite show.

- In place of shuttling kids between games and lessons - and stopping for fast food on the way home - cancel one activity a week and ask the children to help you make dinner. Think back to your childhood, do you remember helping out in the kitchen. It was a blast! Not to mention the fact that you are preparing them to be healthier adults.

- Nothing wrong with serving some healthy frozen dinners, just add one or two steamed vegetables to the plate (or that salad bar salad).

- When you have time to cook, make extra and freeze it. I invested in a "seal a meal" type gadget and I found a good cookbook - Trim and Terrific Freezer Meals. It's so nice to have something homemade on hand at all times.

- I started using Emealz. Once a week I receive a brand new menu plan and a complete aisle-by-aisle grocery list. I chose the vegetarian option, but they also have options for low fat, low carb, Weight Watchers, or specific grocery stores. I don't always make every meal, but I have some EASY recipes on hand at all times. If you want to check out some of their sample menus go to https://e-mealz.com/

- Whether it's crock pots, pre-cut veggies, or Emealz, eat at home more often and lower your risk of disease! Remember to share your tips with me. I'm always looking for more ideas on saving time and cooking at home.

Eat Intentionally at home,

Cindy

No comments: