Friday, April 8, 2011

What's in Your Fridge?



Hi Fit Friends,

I have to share some observations and frustrations with you. I dropped by the grocery store on my home to pick up a few things. I'm standing in the check out line and of course, I notice what the guy in front of me is buying; chips, pop, tator tots, candy bars, ice cream, and frozen dinners. I looked over to the people in the line next to me and they had frozen waffles, frozen dinners, white bread, pop, etc, etc, etc. There wasn't a fresh vegetable or fresh fruit on either conveyor belt.

So, I want to know what are you buying? What's in your fridge? Please tell me you have some fruits and vegetables! BTW, my refrigerator died a couple of weeks ago. It took 13 days to get our new one. So, I included a pic of my own fridge and it's contents.

I'm also including a new recipe that I'm going to make tonight. I'll keep you posted and let you know if it was yummy.

Lemon Poppy Scones

Cook Time: 15 Min

Ready In: 25 Min

Original Recipe Yield 12 scones

Ingredients

2 cups all-purpose flour, whole wheat, or whatever flour you like
3/4 cup sugar
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup Earth Balance margarine or butter
1 lemon, zested and juiced
2 tablespoons poppy seeds
1/2 cup soy milk or milk

Directions

1.Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Grease a baking sheet.

2.Sift the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt into a large bowl. Cut in margarine until the mixture is the consistency of large grains of sand. Stir in poppy seeds, lemon zest and lemon juice. Combine the soy milk and gradually stir into the dry ingredients until the batter is moistened, but still thick like biscuit dough. Spoon 1/4 cup sized plops of batter onto the greased baking sheet so they are about 3 inches apart.

4.Bake for 10 to 15 minutes the preheated oven, until golden.


Nutritional Information

Amount Per Serving Calories: 234 | Total Fat: 12.1g | Cholesterol: 0mg (If you use Earth Balance and soy milk)

No comments: