Friday, July 9, 2010


I was running/walking last weekend in preparation for my upcoming half marathon in Minnesota. For those of you that have ever trained for long distance events, you know the mind starts to wander and really that is the training.

As my legs carried me over the miles, my mind started thinking about how fun it was to think about running a half marathon. It was also fun signing up for the race; booking the hotel, making travel arrangements, googling tourist attractions that we could check out after the race, etc. That was all fun, but now (when I was training) wasn't fun. Putting in the miles wasn't all that pleasurable. My legs were aching, it was hot and humid, the trail was flat and I didn't have my Ipod. So, fun was not a word that was coming to mind.

I thought about how we all like to start things. We get caught up in the excitement of how that new project sounds, how that renovation will look, how awesome it will be when we lose those 20lbs, etc. Then we have to put in the miles. We have to do the work that it takes. How many of us throw in the towel? Life happens, we get busy, the kids need to be chauffeured, work throws us extra projects, we have an injury, a family member gets sick, etc. We can come up with so many excuses and most people do.

My question is - do you want to be like most people? Most people are overweight. Most people will die from heart disease. Most people will spend more on fast food than they'll spend on movies, books, magazines, newspapers, videos, and recorded music combined. Most people settle. Don't be like everyone else! Don't settle. Be the one that finishes the race. Be the one that finishes the project, the renovation, gets debt free, gets a degree, etc. Whatever your goal - FINISH! Stick to it and little by little and step by step, you'll get there. Here's my mantra - Well begun is half done - in other words, a good start doesn't mean it's finished!

Eat Intentionally and finish,

Cindy

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Thanks Cindy! After a double whammy of hip weirdness & stomach flu, it is time to get started on that October half-marathon again and this is just what I need to hear!