Friday, August 13, 2010

Maintaining Motivation!




Hi Fit Friends,

I am probably asked most often about motivation; what keeps me motivated and what can someone do to get or stay motivated. Can you relate? All to often I hear, "I really want to lose weight and be healthy but I'm just not motivated to workout and I just can't eat healthy. Better yet - it's too expensive to eat healthy. Am I hitting a nerve?
I ran across this motivation explanation and loved it: "The thing you need to realize is that discipline is fueled by motivation and its NOT a constant stream of awesomeness that you experience everyday. If you were to take the concept of motivation and visualize it, it would look like those spikes you see in a heart monitor, not a sloping line heading upwards. No matter who you are, you just cannot be motivated 100% of the time… it’s too much stimulus for your body to handle constantly. Think of being on speed 24/7… people would think you’re a whack job."

Okay, some people do think I'm a whack job, but as I've said before I don't want to be normal. Normal is overweight and heading toward diabetes. So, I keep myself motivated. How? I read fitness magazines, books, etc. I study about health and nutrition. I have an Ipod full of energizing music that I like to workout to. I have people that I'm accountable to - mainly you. You help keep me motivated and hopefully I help you, too. Thanks by the way. Anyway, I also try new healthy recipes, new exercises, new places to walk. I like to keep my workouts fresh so I will enjoy them. I think back to 2001 and my back injury and my obesity. I never want to go back, so I keep moving forward. Why do you want to get healthy? Focus on that and you won't need to ask me how to get motivated.

Eat Intentionally,

Cindy

2 comments:

edj3 said...

See I think you are the coolest whack job I know :-)

Functional Fitness said...

right back at ya!